Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday, March 26 - A Visit to the Past

I can’t remember if I’ve told you this story or not, but when I was a baby, my Mum and Dad left me in a children’s hotel in the borders in Scotland while they went out to West Africa. The company my Dad worked for had policy of no children under 5 on the mine – probably because conditions were not safe, or suitable for young kids. I was left under the expert care of the Scottish family who operated the hotel and I became every attached to their daughter Joyce who was about 10 years older than I was, but who became to me like a sister. I have always remained in contact with Joyce, .through Christmas letters and infrequent meetings. When I realized that Jacky lived about 20 minutes away from where Joyce lived, we decided to contact her and see if we could visit. Joyce was ecstatic to hear from me and immediately invited all of us to lunch at Bayleaf, her home. What a wonderful afternoon we had. Joyce is a lovely, kind, Scottish lady who gives the impression of never growing old. She tells wonderful stories, is interested in everything, and makes you feel so welcomed and appreciated. After dinner, her son Bruce and his wife Elaine turned up to see us. Bruce tells a wonderful story of one of the times we were together when I was working in London, England. He was about 8 we reckoned, and he was fascinated with my gold chain which I let him put on and off around my neck. The “gold chain” was actually my locket which contained a picture of my Grandfather and the hair of a horse I had been particularly close to. Our memories can be very touching! After chatting rigorously all afternoon we said a sad “goodbye” around 5:30 p.m. and headed back to Havant with the happy memories of our visit sealed inside us.

Joyce’s house is old and beautiful, and although she once ran it as a rest home, she now operates it as a bed and breakfast...she can take up to about 11 people staying….so, if you are looking for an interesting and lovely place to stay in Chichester, I can highly recommend “Bayleaf”. Joyce is a marvellous cook too.

While in Chichester, we also visited Chichester Cathedral which was built in the 1000/11000s. A beautiful old cathedral with some lovely artwork and sculptures.

In the evening we walked for about ½ hour down a dark, unlit, and rather scary lane to The Royal Oak (an old smugglers’ pub on the waterfront) for a pint and scampi and chips. Then it was back to Jacky’s (not on the dark lane but on the local streets) and bed.

Did I tell you Jacky’s son Dave flew off to Kathmandu today for 18 days? Also, Joyce’s son Bruce volunteered in India and worked both with Mother Teresa and Dr. Jack…at the same time, unknown to the other. What an amazing experience he must have had.

No comments: