Thursday, May 16, 2019

Glasgow to Canada - May 14

Glasgow to Canada - May 14

We ate the final breakfast of our Scottish trip in the very efficient Grasshoppers Hotel, caught a cab to the airport, and said our goodbyes. It was a solemn moment. My heart cried at the thought of leaving Scotland and my friends. Robin and Peter went off to catch their flight to Toronto, and I caught my flight to London, and then on to Vancouver. I spent the day in a mindless state to avoid thinking about the tediousness of travel. On the London/Vancouver leg I did sit beside a lovely couple who were coming to Vancouver for the first time to visit their daughter and two year old grandchild. We couldn't communicate very well, but I know they were hugely excited, and it was fun to be caught up if only for a few moments in their delight. and then, I was arriving in Vancouver and there was Ray, waiting for me when I emerged from Customs and Immigration. Although sick as a dog, he managed a beaming smile, and it was good to be in his arms again.

In summary, Scotland was amazing. It is one of the most beautiful places I have visited; the people are lovely, genuinely warm and friendly; the food, although not the "healthiest" is definitely high on the taste scale. I loved the walking on the West Highland Way, the interesting and fun hikes on Skye, discussions with Robin and Peter on the state of our world ......and many other topics; visiting Katie and meeting her son in Edinburgh, meeting up with Ian my cousin, and meeting again with Iain Hope from our 2007 South America travels. It was all simply amazing. A big "thank you" to everyone who made our trip the success it was.

And, a big "thank you" to Robin and Peter for inviting me to join them and the amazing time we all had together.

No comments: