Saturday, May 19, 2018

Chichester


Friday May 18

My memories on Friday were “memorable.” They took me back to 1949 when I was 10 months old. My Dad worked in West Africa and although my Mum could go there with him, it was still too early for young children to be allowed on the diamond mine due to the fear of malaria and other threatening diseases. So, I went to a “children’s hotel” in Galashiels managed by Tom and Jean Warden. The hotel was established just for that purpose: to look after children whose parents were in distant lands building the British Empire! Tom and Jean had a daughter, Joyce, who was about 10 or 11 years old at the time, and since I was the youngest kid at the hotel, I had special treatment from Joyce!! We have always remained friends sharing a very special bond. On Friday, we went to visit Joyce, now, shhhh, 80, in Chichester. 

Joyce has two sons: Craig and Bruce whom I met during my days in London with the Foreign Office (1967/68). Craig and his wife Lisa hosted the family for lunch and Ray and I were included. My heart was filled with the warmth and kindness they all exuded, and I had a profound feeling of being connected with my roots.

Craig and Lisa

Joyce

Left to right: Bruce, me, Elaine, Craig, Ray, Joyce

In the afternoon, after lunch, we drove back with Joyce to her flat in the chantry of Chichester Cathedral. Before going to dinner, Ray and I took a very quick visit to the cathedral. It is so beautiful, and we had the wonderful opportunity of hearing the beginning of the evening service. Choral singing always melts my heart.

Outside of Chichester Cathedral

Inside the Cathedral

The choir getting into place

Inside Chichester Cathedral

The Market Cross, Chichester
We had dinner at a delicious Chinese food restaurant, then hit the road back to West By-Fleet.



No comments: