Monday, May 21, 2018

Visitors from Switzerland


Monday, May 21

We had a reasonably relaxed morning, until Ray decided I should visit the Dr. I seem to have caught Ray's cough, and since it sounds as if it is coming from the depths of my lungs – much worse than it actually is – I agreed to go. All this happening around the time we were to meet Peter and Masooma at the station. We made it to the Drs and the angels arranged an instant visit with the Dr. When you pay 62 BPS for the visit, its not a wonder!!! Ray went back to meet Peter and Masooma. Fortunately, unlike Ray, I didn’t have a rattle in my lungs, however, the Dr did give me a prescription for some antibiotics just in case I might need them in Greece. When I came out of the Dr’s office, Ray, Peter, and Masooma were there to meet me!! It was a lovely surprise.

We haven’t seen Peter and Masooma since just before we left Uxbridge. Since then, they have moved to Switzerland, Peter has a job in Lichtenstein, Masooma is learning German, and they are about to buy a flat. The sad part of the story is the death of Peter’s father shortly after they arrived in Switzerland. That was a real downer for them. But the good part is that their relationship has moved on to a higher level.

We decided to go for a walk in Horsell Common which is close by. Ray and I had passed it by on a previous trip and thought it looked really interesting. Well, some things just don’t work out as you planned. We made a wrong turn right at the beginning and almost ended up on the motorway before turning around and entirely retracing out steps. We found one of the car parks for the 880 acre common and set out boldly on a what we thought might be a decent walk. It was a 1.1k loop. Beautiful trees, but otherwise flat, and devoid of much character….a little too “manicured”. I didn't take any pictures. So we got back in the car and headed back to West ByFleet and the pub and a late lunch. We sat outside the restaurant in the sun until Peter and Masooma took the train back to London.

Peter, Masooma, and Ray in the back garden of our rental house

This was not a sad parting. We will see them tomorrow in London.

No comments: